Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Come Be My Light Part 2

" He said to them, 'Is a lamp brought in to be placed under a bushel basket or under a bed, and not to be placed on a lampstand? For there is nothing hidden except to be made visible; nothing is secret except to come to light. Anyone who has ears to hear ought to hear.'

He also told them, "Take care what you hear. The measure with which you measure will be measured out to you, and still more will be given to you.
To the one who has, more will be given; from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away." - Mark 4: 21-24


Today during some prayer time, I was thinking I needed some inspiration from St. Paul, but opened Scripture up to this passage (though St. Mark is my fav Gospel!). The 'bible roulette' technique hasn't worked for me in a while, so this was a pleasant surprise. Jesus is giving me some light! And asking me- us- to come be His.

The other day when I blogged about the Mother Teresa book, I mentioned how this is the message Jesus says to Mother Teresa- "Come Be My Light". He asks her to serve Him through the poor in India.

This whole year I've been wondering how God wants me to 'Come be His Light'. And this blog post is not to say I suddenly do. But this Bible passage today is a step in the direction of promise and trust.

God has given us all great gifts to share- we are His light. And if we believe that He loves us and has given us these gifts to share, why would he keep us hidden away? Or deprive of us of anything we need? It just doesn't make sense. Though it feels this is what He's been doing with me, I have to trust that He won't do it for long. And that's what he says here- and all with ears ought to hear! And suddenly my 'Abandonment to Divine Providence' posts and trust posts and posts on promise, are coming full circle.

Do I believe that God creates us, loves us, only to 'hide us under a bushel basket?' NO! If we believe and trust in Him and His gifts, the opportunities to shine our light are all around us. He says here that anything hidden, will be brought to the light, and we have to trust in that.

We all have been given alot, and- as de Caussade says in Abandonment to Divine Providence- even all that we need at each given moment. And Jesus says here there's more where that came from.

I know I've been wondering for a year why it seems Jesus is keeping me 'hidden'. But if I believe that I've been given many gifts, I must also believe that He doesn't want to keep them hidden, and that there IS a call to 'Come Be His Light', even if I don't know how yet.

I hope this makes sense. It was pretty empowering for me today. I still wish I had answers, but it is enough to trust and believe that God has given me many things and there is hope that there is more where that came from! And there is the promise that He won't keep me- us- hidden for long, if that is the case. (It also made me think of 'Dirty Dancing': 'Nobody puts Baby in a corner!' Or in this case, 'under a bushel basket!' ha ;)




I am confident that God wants each of us to, 'Come Be His Light'. We just have to believe this and then ask Him to show us how to use our gifts. And we have to let Him come be our Light too.

Peace,
Julia

No comments: