Friday, September 26, 2008

Abandonment to Divine Providence

I realize that is quite a title for a blog post. It is actually the title of the book I am currently reading by Jean-Pierre de Caussade (or as I like to refer to it as, 'ADP by some french guy')

My spiritual director (yes, I kind of have one! we only met once this month, but it went well, and I hope to meet with him monthly) recommended this to me after talking with me about where I'm at spiritually.

I know I've written alot about my spiritual status on this blog, since it all started when I took the leap to enter the Daughters of St. Paul. You are now watching me transition out of that life and struggle with God's Will in all of this...thanks for bearing with me!

This book- ADP- is ALL about embracing God's Will, and I think it can be helpful to alot of us. I like to use spiritual writings in my prayer time, and this book is full of so many nuggets that you can just meditate on. I highlight and star all over the thing. Here are some excerpts that really struck me today.

But first, I know some of my friends and I are struggling with where we are at right now in life. We didn't think we'd be (just some examples, no one in particular, except for maybe a ;)

a.) in and out of convent b.) single at 27 c.) married with children d.) married without children e.) living with parents at 27, f.) living without parents at 27....

The list could go on. What sounds like a great option for someone, is envitably what another one desires. The point is, we make our own plans, even if in our heads, and God's plans are not always ours. So how do we accept that? Because if our wills are supposed to be one with His, how can embrace a plan that was not ours?

Anyways, some quotes from the book:

"To this there is but one answer- that the will of God is the only thing necessary, therefore what it does not grant must be useless. My good souls, nothing is wanting to you!" (pg 30, ADP)

Now, these are bold words, I know. If we are desiring something we are lacking- like a spouse, a child, a parent, a home, a job- it doesn't mean that thing is USELESS in and of itself. But perhaps it isn't of use to us at this moment, and this is God's will for us at this point in time.

de Caussade goes on to say...
"Can the Will of God do me harm? Shall I fear or fly from the will of God?"

I know that I want to fly from God's will on a regular basis! And our culture tells us to go ahead and do our own will. That it is better to do what we want, even if it is beyond our control. There are some things we are not meant to control! And we can be much happier if we just accept that fact!

"When God speaks, it is a mystery, and therefore a death-blow to my senses and reason...The more obscure a mystery to us, the more light it contains in itself."

That last line is particularly beautiful to me.

So however obscure your mystery is right now, whatever it is, embrace it! I know I'm trying to. I know it is our human nature to want to use senses and reason to 'figure out mysteries', but I've learned in the past year to 'embrace the mysteries' of God, of ourselves, of people, of life. And embrace them because He is present amid that mystery.

Love you all, thanks so much for reading! I hope this touches you all in some way.
Peace,
Julia

2 comments:

Thomas Joseph said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thomas Joseph said...

You rock! And you are so wise... thank you for your insights. I am really looking forward to our prayer group. =)