Sunday, May 9, 2010

Holy Spirit 1, Devil 0

So remember when we talked about how the Holy Spirit was on Its way?

That reading from John 14 is today's Gospel, reminding me that God is still doing His thing, things are still in the works, and I need to keep hope for those BIG things I am praying for.

Easter is not over! We are still in week 6! We should still be rejoicing!

See, but the devil hates this rejoicing business. And whenever we are hitting our stride, that's when he comes from behind Tanya Harding style and bops us in the knees (I couldn't bring myself to post a pic of Nancy Kerrigan screaming "whhhy!??" but isn't that how we feel when the devil hits us from behind? Outta nowhere! And wearing sequins and a bad scrunchie to boot...)

I have also written about the devil before. Even though I don't know why I give the thing the time of day, I still stand behind that it is important to acknowledge he exists, if only to remember that he is a bad mammerjammer. (And not in a GOOD "Bad like Michael Jackson" kind of way). He is constantly trying to keep us from the growth and conformity to God's Will we are striving for....not cool! What did we ever do to you, Satan? Huh?

On a total sidenote- My roommate Stephanie ordered this serpent-inspired beer when we went out the other night. I think she just ordered it because she thought the place where it is brewed is pronounced "Uni-brow", but it had a scary pic of the devil on it! He was like staring me in the face! How did he know I had just gone to confession? HOW. DOES. HE. KNOW?

Anyways, I am spending way too much time expounding on Lucifer when I am meaning to talk about the Holy Spirit and its movements these days.

When we think about the Holy Spirit do we think of the bird/dove descending over Jesus at His Baptism? Do we think of the tongues of fire? Or do we think of the "noise like a strong driving wind" (Acts 2:1-11)

All of these images are biblical ones we've been given to depict the Holy Spirit. I certainly have thought about the Spirit in all such ways through the years. But the way I'm thinking right now is the latter. A strong, driving wind all the way. A whirlwind even.

With the devil throwing his nasty thoughts at me as I seek to conform my Will to God's, I've got all kinds of things blowing all over the place c/o the driving wind that IS the Holy Spirit. But today's Gospel also tells us about Christ leaving us PEACE:

"I have told you this while I am with you. The Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything and remind you of all that I told you.

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give it to you.
Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid.

You heard me tell you, ‘I am going away and I will come back to you.’ If you loved me,
you would rejoice that I am going to the Father; for the Father is greater than I.
And now I have told you this before it happens,so that when it happens you may believe.” (John 14: 23-29)


This is such a beautiful passage that I keep coming back to. Father in his homily today spoke of the peace that God gives not being a peace where everything is coming together perfectly. And this kind of goes back to what I wrote about conformity last week. Peace in the spiritual life is not about everything coming together and handed to us a silver platter, but it is the knowledge and wisdom that the Spirit is there when everything is whirling around and when we are struggling. It is in the midst of this whirlwind of the Passion and Resurrection and Ascension that the apostles receive the Peace and Gifts of the Holy Spirit. So it is with us too.

So the devil can throw crowbars at us all he wants, and don't think he won't! He will try to destroy our peace. But we have an Advocate that is the Holy Spirit who wants to give us Gifts and Peace with Its strong, driving wind.

My friends and I are once again starting up a novena. If you remember, the one I did last fall up until Advent brought MUCH peace. Here's hoping the Holy Spirit will drive some peace our way again.

We will be starting the novena this Thursday- Ascension Thursday-and ending on Pentecost! Let me know if you want to join us and I can email you the document.

Oh! And I would, of course, be remiss and highly insensitive if I weren't to mention a HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to all mothers reading this (I know my own mother does- Hi, Mom ;)

It's kind of overwhelming how many of my friends are mothers now. I am grateful for their witness and for being the "cool moms";) My friends who are moms still have a strong sense of self, despite their new additions to their lives, and that is something I admire and appreciate.

For more Mom's Day stuff: Catholic Chicks- A blog that I have submitted content for before- has a couple great posts/prayers on Mother's Day. You may want to check it out

Come Holy Spirit! Enkindle in us the fire of your love...and your whirlwind of peace ;)

Peace,
Julia

No comments: