Monday, September 14, 2009

Angels (and Demons)

First of all, today is the Feast of the Exaltation of the Cross. The readings today remind us of God's love for us- so much so, that He sent His Son to die so we might have life. I'm always appreciative of today's Gospel passage- John 3:16- because it just sums up this idea of God's love for us and Christ's mission so clearly. And because you see it on posters at football games.

I also always love reading today's 2nd reading from St. Paul in the brievary: "For God did not deem equality with God something to be grasped...rather He emptied Himself, taking the form of the slave..." (Phil. 2:6-11) It's a reminder during the times where I am impatient or confused by God- thinking I have to do MORE and be perfect- for me to see that God doesn't necessarily want that confusion for us. There is beauty in the mystery of God, but He also tried to set a clear example for us by sending Jesus.

I needed that clear reminder today. My sister got married this weekend and when someone that close to gets married, there's also SO much to think about! And my little head was left in a whirlwind after this weekend's events (or maybe it was just the ridiculous amount of jello shots that were taken at the encouraging of my 86 year old grandmother throughout the weekend)

It really was a perfect day, weather wise, and also everything just came together perfectly and fell into place. God's hand was certainly all over this day and He made that known to my family and I in many ways. Here are some pics of the beautiful bride and our day! (1st and 3rd photos courtesy of Mr. Fred Ginter)






God also showed me His love for me, not only through the very clear readings today and the obvious blessings of my family this weekend, but in a very clear and personal way yesterday in the BWI airport parking lot of all places!

I had just taken the bus back to my car from the airport, my head full of thoughts from the weekend and the typical single girl questions that come with witnessing weddings: 'will that ever be me? Does God want that for me? Do I want that? How can you know? Who will it be? yadda yadda yadda...'

And before I had any opportunity to feel sorry for myself and let the demons of temptation slip in while waiting in line paying for my parking lot ticket, I'm greeted at the parking lot booth with a strong and friendly 'Hello!' from the woman inside.

'Hello!' I respond.

'Where did you GET to go this weekend?' the woman asks as I reach for my credit card.

'Um...GET to go? Er, ah, well, Cleveland. So I don't know if you can really say GET to. But I was with my family, so that was fun." I respond.

She says, 'oh, Cleveland! Well that sounds nice! By the way, I am 27 years cancer free today. I was healed by the Lord Jesus Christ and I am cancer free. We should trust in Jesus because He can do all things.'

Whoa. Alright, then! I told her I really believed that and God to bless her. She said the same to me and then I was on my way.

I immediately recognized that in that moment, God was speaking to me and that was such a clear message to me from God. Just as I was about to ask all kinds of questions and potentially lead myself from trusting in God's plan (AGAIN!) He sends me this woman to remind me that God can do all things. Amen! And I am carrying that message of HOPE with me today!

So she was the angel that I reference in this title. The angels in all of the Gospels and Old Testament proclaim a message to others, and she was a definite herald of God's message to me. As for the demons, they are the temptations and thoughts that enter into our heads that try to keep us from hearing and following God's message.

A case can also be made that bridesmaid's satin is of the devil. As I most recently noticed- with the change of only one letter satin becomes satan. Coincidence? I think not. It does not wrinkle, it is water resistant- all things that natural fabrics are not. And wearing it can cause you to end up doing things like, oh, I don't know...drinking too much and wind up sleeping in it? Not that I know that for a fact or anything...I'm just saying. It could happen.

Peace,
Julia

2 comments:

Stacie said...

Ah, bridesmaid satin. It is quite not-of-this-world.

I am grateful for the woman at the airport, and always encouraged by the ways in which you recognize divine moments in our lives.

- Stacie

Edith Magdalene said...

Beautiful, just beautiful! Praise the Lord for His goodness!