Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Just Another Day Part 2

It really is "just another day" without Jesus- as incredibly cheezy as that sounds when I re-read that thought. But it's very true for me today. It's super nice outside and the sun is shining, and sometimes that alone will put me in a good mood. But today I'm driving and it's all trafficky and I'm at work (depending on the degree you love your job work doesn't need to be a downer, I suppose. Wish that were the case for me right now) and suddenly, before I know it, it's just another day.

That's why I'm grateful that this Gospel was today!! I read it last night before bed (trying to get back into a routine of lectio divina before bed, Mass and prayer in the morning. Who knew a routine could produce so much fruit? But seriously, when I'm without it, I turn into the Hot Mess that my spiritual director has to deal with...)
and anyways, I was so excited that today's Gospel is part of John 6's Bread of Life discourse:

"The crowd said to Jesus: 'What sign can you do, that we may see and believe in you?
What can you do? Our ancestors ate manna in the desert, as it is written: 'He gave them bread from heaven to eat.' So Jesus said to them, 'Amen, amen, I say to you,
it was not Moses who gave the bread from heaven; my Father gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is that which comes down from heaven
and gives life to the world.' So they said to Jesus, 'Sir, give us this bread always.' Jesus said to them, 'I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst." (John 6:30-35)

I know I've blogged before about how much I love the Bread of Life discourse; there's just so much in there. But today what stood out for me was the fact that this is the message I want to bring to people. This is why I want to be in ministry, and that was good for me to be reminded of. This message that Jesus can satisfy our hunger just by Who He is, is sooo valuable! We need to bring that to people! And it's also probably, most likely the message I need to hear myself!

The people in this Gospel are asking Jesus for a sign (um, I pretty much have been asking Him for some everyday for the past year) and the sign He gives them is Himself. And the promise of Eternal Life. And the Eucharist to sustain us on earth. Hmmmm. Sounds like some serious signage to me. I just need to keep reflecting on that when I think that I am unsatisfied or do not have enough.

Another thing that inspired me in my desire for ministry today was a headline on the USCCB webiste today:
http://www.usccb.org/comm/archives/2009/09-092.shtml

Hope that worked- sometimes I have trouble posting links on this blog. But anyways, it's a poll that was just taken by a common religious polling organization on people's faith practices. I was interested to see that teens who go to Mass regularly do retain their faith into adulthood. And also that the 'sex abuse scandals', while undoubtedly regrettable and tragic, are not driving people away from their faith necessarily. That is a message of hope, however, we need to show parents and teens that fact to be true, and help them to understand the importance of Mass!

I will work on that :) In the meantime, let's make it not Just Another Day and focus on the blessings and miracles God has already sent us.

Peace,
Julia

No comments: