Friday, March 20, 2009

Caritas Christi Urget Nos

The Pallottine mantra of "The Love of Christ Urges Us On" (or the "The Love of Christ Compels Us" as St. Paul says) has really been my mantra ths month in prayer and throughout each day these last weeks.

Thank you, first of all, everyone, for the prayers for my family. A while ago I told you that my uncle had been diagnosed with lung cancer. He passed away on Sunday (the Day of the Lord) and was buried yesterday (Feast of St. Joseph! Could we be any more blessed?) Your prayers were truly, truly felt. The weeks leading up to his death were certainly difficult for my family, particularly for my cousins, mom, and grandmother. But I think we can all say we are rejoicing in the faith and hope of his rising with the Lord (Not to mention we did a little rejoicing the "Polish way" for the feast of St. Joseph and for my uncle with a few toasts after the services yesterday;)

Death always makes one reflect on our mortality and our belief in the after life, so I of course, have been doing the same. Also, at this point in Lent, we start to turn our thoughts towards Christ's suffering and death and also His Resurrection, so it was actually a blessing to have all this happen during Lent as well, I think.

I don't really have any new blog-worthy reflections on the topic (though our belief in heaven is certainly always blogworthy in and of itself)! Let's just say, I really want to get to heaven someday. I love being in the Lord's presence with the Eucharist and Mass, I can't even imagine what it's like to be in that True Presence 24/7. Sign me up!! But I also know He has a plan for us on earth that I'm pretty sure I still have yet to fulfill before heaven, so I won't start the countdown yet.

Again, I just wanted to write and say 'thank you' for the prayers and just emphasize how those prayers were felt! It's an amazing thing, that power of prayer! Seriously, there were many moments this week that my family and I were chalking things up to answered prayer and that was a blessing to be able to recognize those things so quickly. I will say God has always been good to me with that gift of revelation of answered prayer- He never waits too long to help me put the pieces together. He knows me too well, and how impatient I am!

I also wanted to share with you that simple truth that 'The Love of Christ' does indeed 'urge us on' in Lent, in these tough economic times, in life and death. Amen!

Speaking of Lent, hope you all are doing well with your observances/penances/sacrifices! I myself fixed myself a nice turkey sandwich today (Friday) which my mom had to gently stop me from eating at lunch! Hope your head is more in the game than mine!!

Caritas Christi Urget Nos! See many of you when I return from Ohio on Sunday.
Peace,
Julia

No comments: