Thursday, March 11, 2010

Biggest Loser Part 2

Last year, I posted about St. Paul being the "Biggest Loser" because he was happiest when he had nothing. Shipwrecked, locked up, but still "boasting in the glory of God" (like in Sunday's readings).

Was St. Paul a little cocky? Perhaps. But only because of what he received from his total surrender to God.

I still haven't totally wrapped my brain around this yet, but as I was packing up to leave Adoration this morning I got a little thought in my little head and I think it might have been- MIGHT have been- from God...

I was ready to say my goodbyes to Jesus as I ended my quick post-Mass prayer session, and I got that feeling- and maybe you've had this too- that He wasn't done with me quite yet and I had to stay for a second. Again, I got this little thought:

"If you are serving God and have nothing to show for it, you are doing it right."

Huh. There's a thought.

This is not to say I'M serving God correctly in any way shape or form. This is also not to say that those who have everything they could ever have imagined AREN'T "doing it right" in terms of Christianity. It was just a good reminder that Christianity has never been about the things we have, but ALWAYS about the emptying, the pouring out, the "last shall be first", and all that. The Biggest Loser. Right?

So just a quick post today for any of us who may feel like losers ;) or looking for something tangible to show the world. Those things are certainly gifts, but so is the mystery (which you are SICK of hearing me say, I'm SURE).

And especially at this time of Lent we remember the emptying that Jesus did as an example for those who choose to follow Him:

He said to them, 'Take nothing for the journey,
neither walking stick, nor sack, nor food, nor money,
and let no one take a second tunic.
Whatever house you enter, stay there and leave from there.
And as for those who do not welcome you,
when you leave that town,
shake the dust from your feet in testimony against them.'
Then they set out and went from village to village
proclaiming the Good News and curing diseases everywhere.
- Luke 9:3-6


Peace,
Julia

No comments: