Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Risen from the Dead

"...While they were puzzling over this, behold, two men in dazzling garments appeared to them. They were terrified and bowed their faces to the ground. They said to them, 'Why do you seek the living one among the dead? He is not here, but he has been raised. Remember what he said to you while he was still in Galilee, that the Son of Man must be handed over to sinners and be crucified, and rise on the third day." (Luke 24: 3-?)

Well, this Easter was probably the most anti-climatic ever for me. I know, I know. How can I say that? The Paschal Mystery is the definition of excitement and drama! And I usually try to engage actively in it. I retreat on Good Friday and then eagerly await Easter Sunday after a day of waiting 'in the tomb' with the Lord. This year, however, I was super sick and made it to services Holy Thursday and Good Friday, but only like half of the Easter Vigil, with not too, too much reflection in between. I was trying to unite my physical sufferings with Christ, and thought for sure I was just 'dying with Christ' and would emerge the Lord renewed and refreshed "from the grave" on Easter Sunday. Just goes to show what I know.

Easter Sunday was my sickest day yet! I could barely move off the couch, and I couldn't even make it to Mass. It was so sad because I was- this year more than even maybe last- ready to emerge! Ready to resurrect after this long and trying year! Isn't this what liturgical seasons are for?! To give us a roadmap to experience with Jesus?

Well, God's plan definitely continues to stump me. I kind of give up at this point (though I am feeling better- finally!) on what God's plan for me is. Everytime I think I have it figured out, he throws me this curve ball, like He did this weekend with my health.

Anyway, in finally feeling better, I am finally able to reflect a little on the Easter Gospel. Each account is slightly different in what it reveals, but I liked the dialogue from the angels in Luke, so I chose that one (for those of you in my women's group who are coming tomorrow, you may hear some of this again :)

The words of the angels to the women make me stop and reflect for myself: 'am I looking for Jesus among the dead? Am I looking at Him in old ways? Why am I looking at Him from the past? Don't I know I can't possibly know what He has for the future?'

It's true that God often works with us in patterns- that's what we see throughout the Old Testament and why it's an essential part of our faith. We see the way God worked in the past, but could never have completely anticipated the ways He worked through Jesus. Like I said in my past blog, He leaves us clues, but like the women in this Gospel- they come expecting one thing, and are completely blown away by the promise of the future.

But then the angels tell them to 'Remember the words He told you'. As I have also blogged about, there are promises Jesus has made to us. What are some of those words that He's promised me that I should be remembering instead of looking for Him among the dead??

Well, I'll let you know if I figure that out. Right now I'm still in the questioning stage. I'm kind of like Peter at the end of this Gospel. He runs back to see what the women are talking about, but still doesn't get His answers just yet.

I've definitely learned the past week the only place to look is up! So I am going to try to seek Him among the living and not the dead this Easter season. Good thing the Easter season is 50 days long! I can make up for the past few :)

Happy Easter! I haven't even gotten a chance to really say it yet- Alleluia! He is Risen!

Peace,
Julia

No comments: