Sunday, April 17, 2011

Selling the Drama Part 2






In thinking about Palm Sunday and its liturgy, I really had a lot of the same thoughts as I had last year. I love the role playing. I love the traditions. I love the drama and the stories. I just wish we could be that passionate about the Passion everytime we go to Mass since we do, essentially, always remember the same thing- the Paschal Mystery- Christ's Death, Resurrection, and Ascension. But I said that already last year :)


I got to go to a Seder meal this weekend which was cool for many reasons: 1.) it was celebrated with some of my favorite people! 2.) I teach Old Testament and actually taught about Passover and the practices of the Seder with my students. 3.) You might also remember last year how obsessed I was about how our rituals are based on Jewish traditions.



The Passover Seder does have much in common with our Holy Week liturgies. Almost all of the things I mentioned above: the stories, the drama, the role playing, traditions ("Tradition!" even ;) And there's just something beautiful about remembering our history and our salvation; the fact that we are free in many ways because of our forefathers and because of Christ. (AND I found the 'Afikomen' at the supper and won a PRIZE. Passover rules. Easter bunny, eat your heart out. )



The Seder supper and Palm Sunday liturgy are reflective of my life in many ways right now. There's so much going on in them that I don't know what to focus on! That's kind of how I feel about this week. It's all GOOD stuff- last week of classes before break, last grad class of the semester, my birthday, the Triduum, preparing for vacation! Phew! But it's a lot!




So Sunday at Mass, while I was able to enter into the Passion play and the readings, I didn't know which part of the readings really stood out to me the most. I don't know what I'm supposed to be reflecting on STILL as I enter into this last week of Lent and this last week of my 20s.



I guess if I could pick something to reflect on from today's readings that struck me was that Jesus did everything to fulfill prophecy. He really explains everything to them and to us. For example:


Then Jesus said to them, “This night all of you will have your faith in me shaken, for it is written:I will strike the shepherd,and the sheep of the flock will be dispersed; but after I have been raised up, I shall go before you to Galilee.” (Matt. 26)


And Exhibit B:


At that hour Jesus said to the crowds, “Have you come out as against a robber, with swords and clubs to seize me? Day after day I sat teaching in the temple area, yet you did not arrest me. But all this has come to pass that the writings of the prophets may be fulfilled


And even regarding poor Judas (who is the subject of a new Lady Gaga song, btw, but that's another blog for another time):


That is why that field even today is called the Field of Blood.Then was fulfilled what had been said through Jeremiahthe prophet,And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the value of a man with a price on his head, a price set by some of the Israelites, and they paid it out for the potter’s field just as the Lord had commanded me.


It's amazing how many prophecies the Lord fulfills and yet the people (and ourselves) still don't believe or trust him.


So perhaps that is something I can take with me as I go into Holy Week and the Triduum. Our salvation history is good, though it has it's ups and downs. God proves over and over throughout it how He provides and takes care of us, despite us getting off track.


And Jesus fulfills so many prophecies. Perhaps in my 30s some prophecies and promises will be fulfilled :) Though he has so clearly provided and kept promises throughout my 20s too. I don't even know right now what the future could hold. Maybe prophecies will be revealed!


The possibilities are endless. So, ready or not- here comes the drama of Holy Week and I say goodbye to the drama of my 20s!




That is one promise/prophecy I know will be fulfilled :) PS- When I looked for pics/fun things regarding 'drama' urban dictionary's definition is this:


"Something women and especialy teenage girls thrive on. consisting of any number of situations that have an easy solution, wich would bring a fairly good outcome, but these girls choose another, sh***, bad way to deal with it, again consisting of backstabbing, blackmailing/gossiping/betraying their friends, or the all-too-common "I want to break up with him but i still love him!" it drives men and what i like to call "normal" girls nuts."


Haha...oh.


Good-bye 20s! Hello Holy Week and 3-0!


Peace,


Julia













No comments: